Monday, December 7, 2020

Resonating

About the blog

   Have you ever heard a sound or noise that no one around you could?  Maybe it was a low frequency sound you first noticed in the pit of your stomach.  Maybe it was a high frequency sound that more aged person's wouldn't be able to hear.

   I've been having some trouble with a series of high pitched noises.

   Not just at my apartment.  But at other people's homes too.

   And no microphone I've tried has been able to record it.

   When I've that sound it's often after hearing other objects resonating to it first.  In a room with lots of lamps, vases, and other solid objects it can seem like a chorus.

   Each item resonating seems to have a turn then quiet down then back to resonating again.  At first I thought it was a prank of some kind but no, it's not that easy to hear or become aware of.

   I finally (maybe accidentally) found a way to make it audible - in a way - to anyone.

   You might be wondering what way that is.

   It's by introducing true white noise into the area and using it to make all sounds a little louder.

    Yes, I know what you're thinking.  Introducing white noise to make other things louder sounds backwards.

      Technical link:   Stochastic Resonance on Wikipedia

   What you'd need to duplicate the setup is:

  • Android phone
  • Free app "Ear Scout"
  • Analog source of white noise - Marsona 1200
    • I'm not sure if a digital source that claims it's white noise will work
   The settings for the app 'Ear Scout' will probably need to be manually adjusted but the screenshot for mine is below.  The white noise generator is a Marsona 1200 bought off ebay and adjusted to play "Surf" at it's fastest rate.  The Android phone is placed about half a foot from the white noise generator.

    What can I (and anyone else) hear now?

    A pulsing sound that spans a range of frequencies.

   Why is it in my apartment?

    I'm not sure why... but I bet my privacy's being violated.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Deterrence

"Illustration" courtesy of:  https://www.craiyon.com "walmart " "Self check-out" registers or kiosks can be fo...