Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Drill

   About the blog 

   There’s a notion going around that COVID was just the flu and everything in response a drill.  I think it’s more likely the seriousness was overestimated.  Either way it’s been a huge opportunity to take advantage of.

   You might be wondering what that opportunity is.

   Well... to inventory, catalog, and associate of course.

    For an extended period of time there was very little movement of people.  Travel was limited and few vehicles on the roads.  Crime doesn’t usually take a holiday but in this case it could staycation.

   Naturally that means limited resources could be allocated elsewhere.

   Did anyone feel less safe when driving around their neighborhoods?

   Did anyone notice an always visible presence had disappeared?

   There was something else being tried to compensate one presence with another.  It was an attempt to replace a very real presence with an illusion.

   Guess what?

   It was done using my cellphone.

   There’s no place in the city I’ve been where I felt unsafe.  Whatever reputation some part may have hasn’t mattered.  But on one particular street a few days ago I noticed something bizarre.

   Every step I took seemed to be saying “it’s very safe here” or “this is a nice area” or “great place to live”.  It was a palpable feeling in the air.

   And I immediately knew it was an illusion I was perceiving.  The area hadn’t changed from a few days earlier but that didn’t matter.  Something was actively being done to create a different perception.

    For me personally... a real presence always beats an illusion.


The people I know with answers won't give them when asked.  So I have a few Questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deterrence

"Illustration" courtesy of:  https://www.craiyon.com "walmart " "Self check-out" registers or kiosks can be fo...