Friday, August 21, 2020

Transactional

    Sometime in the last few weeks an idea was planted in my mind.  Another way of saying that is an idea was put in my thoughts.

   It wasn't my idea.

   I was pretty much appalled by everything about it.

  The idea was to only help someone if they did something in return.  So a favor for a favor.

   Name your favor.

  A guest was at my apartment recently and I started to mention the idea to him.  He cut me off before I could finish explaining it wasn't actually my idea.  This is what he said (I may not have it exactly word for word):

   "That's transactional.  Everything you do is already transactional."

  Now I hadn't looked up the definition of transactional at that point.  But something about his matter-of-fact statement didn't sound right.  In fact, he couldn't give an example to support his statement.

   And he started getting angry when asked to back it up.

   His proof that I was already transactional?

   "Other people think the same thing."

   I definitely couldn't argue over that.  I didn't know who these other people were or what they had said.  But he used that statement a couple more times to deflect requests to give examples.

   So now I wasn't sure if I was transactional or not so I looked up the definition.  It's not complicated and seemed to directly address the next statement he made.

   Definition of transactional : something transacted.  especially: an exchange or transfer of goods, services, or funds.

   After I read the definition to my guest he tried to find an example to fit (he must not have known what it meant when he accused me of it). 

   His example?

   I "buy people things so they'll spend time with" me.

   His supporting details?  Earlier that same day I helped him pay to have his phone repaired.

   Does he realize he has it completely backwards?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Deterrence

"Illustration" courtesy of:  https://www.craiyon.com "walmart " "Self check-out" registers or kiosks can be fo...