Monday, August 10, 2020

Police

    I'm not originally from Saint Louis so I might view the police differently than those raised here.  But regardless of that fact I keep noticing something that's not quite right.

   When the Police come up as a topic with some people I've talked to they seem to be perceived negatively (not hated and not evil).  And though some of that seems to be understandable, there's more that doesn't quite add up that way.

   Maybe the Police officers I've interacted with are different than the ones for the people I've talked to.  I doubt that.  Maybe they're treated me differently than some of the people I've talked to.  It's possible but why would they?  So I seriously doubt that too.

   If someone disagrees with my opinion (of course people will and probably have good reasons for doing so) what would they focus on to refute it?  They might ask who my friends are.  That seems reasonable enough.  But to make a logical argument that people are treated differently we'd need to identify and catalog details about each individual for comparison.

   Things can get really nasty at that point.  Thankfully those details have nothing to do with what I think has influenced the people I've talked to.  I'm not extending my opinion to cover anyone and everyone.  And i'm not saying the police are perfect.

But the Police have a perception issue from some residents and the skew doesn't seem to add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deterrence

"Illustration" courtesy of:  https://www.craiyon.com "walmart " "Self check-out" registers or kiosks can be fo...