Thursday, November 5, 2020

Ground

 About the blog

   I was recently forced to realize my apartment building has an electrical grounding issue,  Even though my floor was highly magnetized an electrician I paid to inspect it found nothing (he did mention the electricity was probably making it's way in through water pipes).

   Ameren sent 2 engineers here to look around at my request.  They don't enter the apartment (which is probably good to prevent liability issues) and also found nothing wrong.  The 2 things they did mention were:

  • Electricity can "find it's way back in" when the ground isn't done correctly.
  • That can occur through water pipes.
   Neither the electrician or Ameren engineers thought much of my magnetic floor or the 2 magnetized metal gas pipes extending out of the ground in front of the building.

   What started me to think it was grounding related?

   It wasn't the apparent hint from Ameren.

   I looked up indicators for it online and found one that matched:  flickering lights.

   Either side of my building's entrance has a light and one would flicker or flash for hours on end.

   But while doing a Sweep of the apartment to check again for ultrasound I found a problem.  A light bulb in a floor lamp that used to be quiet was now buzzing in the 40 KHz range.

   When I bumped the lamp the receiver popped.

   When I tried to move it the receiver filled with static.

   It was behaving like an antenna.

   What caught me off guard was I'd already written about something similar.  So similar I'm finding it difficult to believe this is a coincidence.

   If a Cell Phone can carry away data about sounds in it's vicinity through RF (analog mode).  Then I was probably looking at a grounding issue for a home or apartment that could do the same thing.

   Does anyone near me have an old analog radio?

   I might need to check the static.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deterrence

"Illustration" courtesy of:  https://www.craiyon.com "walmart " "Self check-out" registers or kiosks can be fo...