Monday, August 17, 2020

Lane Change

    The first indication that something wasn't quite right was with my driving.  Out of the blue - and for no reason I could make sense of - I started saying something out loud when I changed lanes.

   "Lane change!"

   It was involuntary.  It happened before I could catch myself.  And it was a little embarassing.  Actually, more than a little embarassing.  So I decided it wasn't going to happen again.

   Not only did I do it again on my next lane change, it didn't matter what I wanted.  I kept doing it.  So I ended up driving with my guard up ready for each lane change.

   How stupid is that?

   Once I finally perfected the art of holding back the words "lane change!" I tried a few tests.  Turns out whatever was causing it had an expiration limit.   By trying one lane change after another I found out that:

  • The first lane change was almost impossible avoid saying it out loud.
  • The second one I could usually catch after the word "lane" and not say "change!"
  • The third one I would hear the phrase in my head but avoid saying it out loud

   So all was good.  After 3 lane changes it seemed to go away and I could drive without sounding foolish.  Except 20 minutes after I found the expiration limit it had reset somehow.

   I was doing it again.

   And I had no idea what was going on.

   What was causing it and how was it getting reset as I drove?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deterrence

"Illustration" courtesy of:  https://www.craiyon.com "walmart " "Self check-out" registers or kiosks can be fo...